Crisis Management Plan
Life-Threatening & Non-Life-Threatening Response
Access whether the incident is life-threatening or non-life-threatening.
Life-Threatening Response Procedures
- Call 9-1-1
- Secure the immediate accident site to prevent further injury.
- Contact Superintendent on site.
- Contact Wyatt Heckel, Safety Director, (262) 234-0990.
- Contact VP of Field Operations, Joe Ehlen, (262) 206-0592.
- Initiate site control and make certain that all employees are accounted for. If the site will be shut down, tell workers when they are to report back to work, and that counseling will be available (if Applicable). Also, to direct information requests from outside groups to you. Keep selected individuals on-site to help with the incident.
- Do not move anything that could be classified as evidence.
- Account for all personnel on-site.
- Post workers to restrict entry to the site.
- Establish a Command Center (Scherrer trailer if available).
- Select a temporary spokesperson to issue a canned statement listed below if the media arrives. This should be the Project Manager or Superintendent.
Non-Life-Threatening Response Procedures
- Write down notes involving the situation.
- Contact Joe Ehlen for a field issue.
- Contact the PM on the project.
- If the issue involves people who are not on the project team, let them know the situation is being handled and you will be with them shortly.
- Discuss the matters with first point of contact to determine next steps.
- Contact HR if needed.
- Take the solution from management and relay it to the people involved.
- Document who you contacted, how the problem was resolved, and who was all involved in the issue.
- Do not discuss matters involving the situation with anyone else.
Buy time statement(s) for media:
Do not say “no comment”. Refer to the statements below.
My name is (_______) and I am (title) with Scherrer Construction Co., Inc. The incident has just happened, and I am not prepared to answer any questions at this time. Please stay in this safety area so we can do our job and take care of the situation. I need to return to the site, but either (spokesperson) or I will be back at (time) with an update. Thank you.
Safety is important to Scherrer Construction Co. Inc. Our concerns are for the safety of our employees and the public. We are aware of the situation and investigating the details. The investigation is ongoing, and we are working closely with the Federal OSHA authorities. Any further statements will be made by the Scherrer Construction Co. Inc. Management Team.
Safety is important to Scherrer Construction Co. Inc. We are aware of the situation and investigating the details. The cause of the incident is not known at the time. The investigation is continuing, and we are working closely with the authorities. Any further statements will be made by the Scherrer Construction Co. Inc. Management Team.
Spokesperson’s Preliminary Statement for the Media:
My name is ___________________ and I am the __________________ for Scherrer Construction Co. Inc. This morning… today... this afternoon… at approximately ______________ am/pm an incident occurred on our ________________ project that unfortunately resulted in… a serious injury/a fatality/multiple fatalities/property damage. The accident involved __________________________ (generally describe the operation being performed and who the injured party worked for). The exact cause of the accident is not currently known. The investigation is continuing, and we are working closely with the authorities. Safety is always our number one concern on any job, and we know that this interest is shared by __________________ (other fellow Partners in the company). Our condolences, thoughts and prayers go out to the individual’s family. I am not prepared to answer any questions. That is all we have for now, thank you.
OSHA Inspection Checklist
- All steps listed below need to be completed. It is imperative that you do not skip any step for any reason.
- Call the Safety Director ASAP.
- Bring OSHA compliance officer into the trailer or job office.
- SCCI to make calls to foreman and subcontractors to inform the site.
- Wait the full hour before you start the opening conferences. Do NOT rush this process no matter what!
- Have records ready but do not show the OSHA compliance officer anything they do not request.
- The Superintendent is the most competent person on the job if they ask.
- Craftworkers have the right to deny speaking with OSHA compliance officers.
- Ask OSHA compliance officer what they would like to see in the opening conference, do not walk the whole site if not necessary.